Your Ad Here
5

Simplify Media And Orb

Posted by William on 1/05/2010 in , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
                                 


Both are great pieces of software that work on Mac os x and Windows, they allow you to access files from one computer to another.  Simplify Media's applications allow you to share your music collection and photo collection to another computer and Orb allows you to share the same, plus any other file or document on your computer.  I like Orb especially because of the ability to share music, photos, and videos to a PS3 or Xbox 360,  but the application doesn't seem as secure as Simplify Music or Simplify Photo do.  Also both of them are available in the Apple App Store, but they are not free. I have had experience with Orb and I will most likely never pay for the software.  I like the idea of sharing any file you want over the internet, but the application and Orb's server just isn't stable.  I would recommend that you keep an eye on it though.  I mean problems can be fixed and who knows, maybe soon they will get better and downloaded onto everyones computers.  But right now I would stick with Simplify Media.  I can't fully back it up because I have not bought the iPhone app, but from the many reviews I've read it seems better off than Orb.  The interface looks more stable, but from personal reviews it has a problem with large libraries.  Why would you pay for something that wont work for everybody.  I know I wont be getting it anytime soon because I have many gigabytes of music I'd love to stream.  Also Simplify has three iPhone apps (but only 2 different types).  Two are Simplify Music (Original) and Simplify Music 2.  What really gets me mad is that users have to pay eight dollars for the updated version, when they could have given it as an update to the original.  So six dollars (Simplify Music Original) plus the updated version (eight dollars), and that doesn't even include the third app that cost four dollars to stream your photos.  So all that for some application that may not work well with large libraries.  I would definitely be mad at the company if I had paid for the original and then pay even more for the update.
          But just because things are bad now doesn't mean that won't get better.  I think that these apps are worth checking into, and I am surely going to keep my eye on them.  I would love if Simplify Media had a free or lite version of their app so it could be tested, like Orb does.  I tried Orb on my friends iPhone and it was slow loading media and skipped a few songs, giving me different errors.  Now what is interesting is that Orb is suppose to work via your Orb server (www.mycast.orb.com) with any computer, phone or internet device for free.  But they are making you pay to use it on the iPhone, one to access files (music, photos, documents) from your computer and the other Orb Live allows you to stream video feeds to your iPhone.  If you do go to the website (without using the app), you get a horrible interface that is very slow to load.  It doesn't separate multiple songs, so if you chose an album to play it would put all of the songs together.  Making one 32 minute or however long song.  If they just simply updated their mobile interface, it would be more enticing to users.
          Offering a nice clean interface for free would get them more attention then making people pay for it.  But again I would continue to see how they grow and watch out for other competing apps (maybe even free) that will try to get noticed.  Thanks for reading and here are links to the websites and iPhone apps.

Orb: Computer Application 
iPhone app: Orb Live, Orb Live Free, Orb Media

Simplify Media: Computer Application
iPhone App: Simplify Music, Simplify Music 2, Simplify Photo


5 Comments


I think it's funny that you mention that Orb's servers are unstable, since Simplify Media's servers have been down for over 24 hours. Causing most users to experience the "Initializing" bug.

If you go to simplify media's home page and click Support, then type "initializing", the first entry will be from yesterday saying that their data center is experiencing network problems.

Besides this problem, it has ALWAYS had skipping problems, where you will be listening to a song and all of the sudden it stops and the next song starts. Not to mention the whole "Connecting..." issue that happens every hour or so and prevents you from listening to anything for a few minutes.

Contacting support gets you nowhere as they blame it on your internet connection, yet everytime one of these things happen, I'll log into my machine remotely and download entire albumns before Simplify Media starts working again, so I know it works just fine, but I digress. My main point being that Simplify Media sucks and I'm looking for a more reliable alternative.


SimplifyMedia is useless.. and now no longer available :-D


it still works for me. but i downloaded and signed up before it was discontinued.


Hmm, that is good. I would have liked to try it sometime.


Since Simplify Media has shut down, I started using Kalidity. It has really good support for iOS devices and you don't have to download an app. http://www.kalidity.com

I always seem to have issues with other alternatives. Either they are clunky, are bad at making playlists, or the phone app has problems... Also most of them don't even let you stream in a browser.

Post a Comment

Your Ad Here

Search For Technology

Copyright © 2009 Technological Life All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive Supported by Blogger Templates.